Saturday 7 April 2018

Great Huntley Bank

It appeared that in places Camel Green and Brinken Wood were wetter than Highland Water, whose gravel banks were showing through if not exposed in places. Crazy that with so much rain, evident in how waterlogged the land is, that the streams are flowing so low. Though even the land, which as I say is waterlogged, is not as waterlogged as it could be. I suppose really it's been another dry winter, for the most part. That said, the environs beyond the banks of Highland Water were too sodden for walking, and hugging the stream banks was the driest and most sure footed path to take. It's nice that way anyway, you get to see the wrinkles in the stream, the overlooked places and the inevitable changes up close as you meander. Having walked these parts for decades I can almost thumb a 40 year plus flip-book in my mind of the changes, sketchy in places, maybe, but it's there. I sat against a gnarled moss covered trunk in one of the meanders in Great Huntley Bank and listened to the woodland. I got more comfortable and relaxed in mossy repose, as birdsong filled my ears, the more I listen the deeper and richer the combined singing became, so many different conversations, until in completely filled my auditory sense. Then about 25 minutes later I woke up.  I know 'forest bathing' is recommended for well-being, but I recommend 'forest snoozing' too, snooze whilst bathing (though of course, don't snooze while actually bathing, no, don't do that).

No comments:

Post a Comment