Saturday 13 January 2018

Ouzo Bazooka's Songs from 1001 Nights

Ouzo Bazooka are back with their third album, Songs from 1001 Nights, and as you'd imagine, it's a lovely listen. It arrived at my door this morning and took only moments to find itself spinning. 'Songs from 1001 Nights' keeps bands reputation for producing great psych waxings flying high, a deep rich psych sound which oozes the exotic taking you on a magical psychedelic journey through foreign climes. Though this time on a slightly different tangent. The opening track '1001 Night' is a slow droney number, setting the feel of the album as a whole, it has a hypnotic feel to it, you could imagine yourself wandering tripped out through an kasbah or something to it. While 'Nile Fever' has the feel of a movie soundtrack. On side 2 I particularly enjoyed 'Turkum', again there's a soundtrack feel to it as well as something of the exotic. The whole album has quite a laid back late evening feel to it, check it out. Although different in sound to the bands previous releases, still infused in all the tracks are the bands cultural and regional DNA, and I think that lends Ozuo Bazooka's sound something really original and warm, they've created a unique fusion of sounds. If you get a chance to see Ouzo Bazooka playing live take the opportunity, I've only seen them once, and it was a smashing performance.

A note of amendment.
It's come to my attention since I initially wrote this, that I've been listening to the album at the wrong speed. Not once, no, not twice, no, but on several occasions. Now I realise, it's obvious....now I realise! Yes, I know, I'm a chump, and it renders my musings on 'Songs from 1001 Nights' the ramblings of a mental. Though it does show that some music can be played and enjoyed at the wrong speed (or as I'm going to suggest, a 'different' speed) and still be well worth listening to. I enjoyed the album I thought I heard, I felt it had merit, really droney merit in retrospect. But still. I was going to delete this post, then thought, naw. So, I'm looking at it positively, now I've got 2 versions of an album for the price of one. Stop taking the piss, I didn't have to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment