Monday 1 January 2018

On the eight day of Christmas

On the eight day of Christmas music gave me the wonder and nightmare which is bandcamp, and all the magic therein. I'd used bandcamp a few times over the last few years to buy a track or two, here and there, though it was always after being directed to the site, I'd never really explored the site until this year. As I say, it's a real wonder, so much good music to be found and I know I've only just scratched the surface. I'd say most days this year I've listened to at least one new band on bandcamp, more often than not though, I've listened to several more. And, my musical world has expanded exponentially. It's not merely the amount of bands on there, but the immense range of genres and styles, I've found bands I know I'd never have come across otherwise. Bands like 'Stones from the Sky' a French psych/rock/garage whose release 'Live in Agger' is a fantastic listen, 'Between the Buttons' psychedelic pop at it's best, or early 70's Neo-folk 'Comus' who returned for a 21st century reunion album which is great, and I could go on and on. Without bandcamp I'd have missed all of that and more, so, I'm currently loving bandcamp.  I also suggested the site was a nightmare, which it is, the downsides being, there's just so much good music to be found, and my pockets are shallow, if not drought ridden for the most part, and a major bugbear of mine, the prohibitive cost of shipping from the states if you want hard copies of some of the music. Bummer! That said, much of the stuff on there is reasonably priced, or much even name your own price, though that too can pose a dilemma, how much do you give; as much as you can, though what if that's not a lot. Bandcamp is a gift that keeps on giving. A few other bands I've found through the site and I'd recommend you check out are Psychic Lemon, 62 Miles from Space, The Paperweight Array and Nathan Hall and the Sinister Locals. And that really only a few of my recommendations. Once your on the site you've dropped down the rabbit hole into a world of opportunities to feed your ears, my bandcamp 'wish-list' grows daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment