Sunday 31 December 2017

Reminiscing

Thinking of Gong at Totnes reminded me of the time we saw Gong at Beautiful Days back in 2009 (we saw Gong twice that year [the other time was in Exeter in November] each time with a slightly different line up), or more specifically, iI was reminded of an event in the crowd. The crowd grew in size and anticipation as we waited for Gong to take to the stage, amongst the crowd there were a group of what I'd describe as classic 'brew crew' characters, they were dressed as you'd expect, almost as if in uniform, they had a sack truck of Special Brew, they were being loud, obnoxious and intimidating, throwing their empties carelessly over their shoulders in the crowd and such like. The were putting on quite a show. My kids were fascinated, most of the kids watching were fascinated, whilst many of their parents, many of which looked like they'd never come across people like this before were naturally horrified and intimidated. Beautiful Days is a weird festival, it's family friendly and mainstream, whilst simultaneously having alternative almost a free festy-ish feel. As I say the 'brew crews' antics were all a show, when challenged for their behaviour the group apologized politely and continued their drinking less boisterously. All was good. Of course, they still were the focus of attention as they deteriorated in front of us. Increasingly the worse for wear, one of their number eventually succumbed to Special Brew and gravity, and crumpled to ground. His compadres looked on with genuine concern. At which point one of them, maybe the groups physician, approached the sprawled fellow, checked him out and mumbled sympathetic words, where upon, with a little encouragement, the collapsed fellow managed to get on to all fours.  The concerned fellow now reached into his pocket and produced a paper wrap, which he carefully unfolded. I knew what was coming next and looking around me at the horrified faces of other parents, so did others. Fuck I thought, how will explain this to the kids. With the wrap carefully unfolded, the guy proceeded to gently dab white power into the collapsed fellows mouth, once, twice, oh go on, one more, and then, excelsior! Slowly, like the opening scenes of 2001 the formally collapsed fellow resumed a bipedal posture, to approval of his group and was passed another can. As I say, all of this was done in front of a mixed crowd of all ages, many adults looking on in dismay.  I'd seem my kids, like many others, watching fascinated. I told them the truth, what else can you do. You know, what struck me was how caring, gentle and loving the whole dysfunctional scene was. All mobile again the group moved off, disappearing through the crowd. I'm certain I saw one of the fellows, the one with the wrap, in a Glastonbury pub several years later, and he was a very nice, if not messy, chap. Anyway, of course Gong were fantastic. I'd seen Gong several times over the years in one form or another though never including Steve Hillage and Miquitte Giraudy. I was also excited for my children to see such a legendary band, a band they'd heard many times at home. Funny how your mind wanders through the tunnels of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment