Sunday 31 December 2017

On the seventh day of Christmas

On the seventh day of Christmas, music gave to me a surprise, which really shouldn't have been a surprise. Back in March we ventured west to Totnes to see Gong, I'd last seen some years back on the 2023 tour when Daevid and Gilli were still with us. I'd not seen the band since and I have to admit to being a touch concerned that something may have been missing. I know it was essentially the same line up of consummate artists, minus Daevid and Gilli, as Gongs 2014's 'I see you' (which was both fabulous and moving in equal measure), but still, I don't know. From the performances get go I felt foolish, no, I felt guilty that I'd had any doubts or concerns. This was Gong! No doubt about it. I should have known better, Gong has always been fluid, emerging in different forms and guises, though always in essence Gong, that was Daevid's magic, his creation, his gift. Kavus steps up and takes the lead with a charisma and attitude befitting a Gong front man, I was pleasantly surprised with the air of continuity and continuation the band exuded. Dave Sturt on bass is fantastic, as is Fabio on guitar and Cheb on drums, and Ian East as well as being a superb sax player was also very funny to watch. All round it was a wonderful evening of glorious Gong, I was a bit of a twat for fearing it would be anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment