Friday 29 December 2017

On the fifth day of Christmas

On the fifth day of Christmas music gave to me The New Avalon Ballroom Weekender. And wow, what a weekend that was! Sublime bands in salubrious surroundings enjoyed in good company, it doesn't get much better than that. The last few years have throw up obstacles which have meant I've not made it to the festivals or gigs I'd often planned to, I feared it was going to go the same way for The New Avalon Ballroom Weekender, though the Gods and Goddesses smiled upon me and with a little help from my friends (as the Beatles said), at the last minute I was travelling to the Isle of Avalon and on to that hostelry of fine repute, The King Arthur.  The weekender was more fun than I could have imagined. We, like many, camped on the edge of town at the Isle of Avalon Touring Caravan Park, very nice, good atmosphere and within easy walking distance of the town. I have to admit to getting a bit too wasted on the first night, I blame....well, I don't blame anybody, it was a fine evening, even if I did require supporting on the walk back. I took a more measured approach on subsequent days. We didn't get to see all the fantastic bands, although as you'd expect the ones we did gave stella performances. We saw current favourites like The Cary Grace Band, Magic Bus and Music of the Andys, new bands (to me anyway) such as Zub Zub and Tim Hawthorn and the Archetypes and long time favourites and legends in the form of the Invisible Opera Company, Kangaroo Moon and Here and Now. It was magical. And, Here and Now's Andy Roger giving me shout out before 'So glad your here' was a lovely gesture, brought a tear to my eye and was the cherry on one hell of a weekend cake. I was so glad I was there too, to have seen such fabulous bands and enjoyed the company of so many lovely people was a real tonic. I salute all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment