Thursday 23 November 2017

More '44

I spent 2 hours yesterday, and an hour today wandering to and fro through Ocknell enclosure looking for a certain piece of graffiti, though with not luck. I think the trees are playing a game, the forest has a sense of humour, musical trees or some such. Though I did discover another great piece of graffiti 'H.D U.S.A 1944'. I love graffiti, all those stories you get to imagine; of course you'll never know the truth, still. And, I have a special affection for Second World War graffiti, it's so emotive, and non more so that the American stuff. I think I've discovered about 15 pieces so far around the forest, all from '44 (when dated that is, as several were just initials with US or USA); a period which saw the forest fill with Americans in preparation for D-Day.  With so little to go on it's impossible to identify individuals or units, not enough information usually, though by association with other graffiti in the wood I can make some reasonable assumptions about this one. I'm determined to find the other Ocknell graffiti I'm looking for, it's another American one, though this time with greater provenance which will illuminate this piece too.

No comments:

Post a Comment