Wednesday 4 October 2017

Stick house

And the second little piggy built his house out of sticks, and it wasn't too shabby, neither. The best stick shelter I've seen in a while. On the Pennington Marsh walk there's only one small tract of woodland near Keyhaven, on the return route. It really is small, immature trees stunted by the harshness of their environment.  Approaching it I thought the view through the woodland looked clearer than I remembered it, at first I though the trees had grown a lot, but not in the few years we'd not walked here, surely. I saw a shelter and thought I'd take a peek, on closer examination I noticed a lot of sawn branches in its mix, then looking around I saw that most of the accessible branches on the surrounding trees were gone, hence the clear look of the wood. That and they'd used every piece of fallen wood too, making the woodland floor artificially clean too. From a forestry and timber production point of view the shelter builders have done the trees a favour and not really done any damage. Although, I don't think that was in their minds at the time, bad little piggies. Still, a well built shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment