Saturday 5 August 2017

Outstanding natural beauty

When people talk about loving their country it's too often abstract, defined by flags, institutions and ideas of nationhood. I don't get that. What stirred in me today was love for my country, though in a wholly different context, through a feeling of deep connection to the land, it's flora and fauna.  I was out walking with an old friend amongst the hills and woodland of Cranborne Chase. Chatting bollocks, as old friends do, after I'd had too few hours sleep really to be out walking and still bathed in the warm afterglow of last nights fantastic psychedelic extravaganza, I drifted through the landscape as if in a lucid dream. The world around me appearing just that little bit more magical than usual. In every direction were stunning views that stir something inside of you, all around nature in full effect. Now this is the country I love. They're not wrong when they say Cranborne Chase is an area of outstanding natural beauty. It really is!

No comments:

Post a Comment