Wednesday 21 June 2017

Summer Solstice sunrise at Knowlton

I'd pondered where to spend the Summer Solstice sunrise and was glad that I'd decided on Knowlton Henge, a Neolithic Henge, part of a wider ritual complex embodying 5000 years of ritual activity, including the a ruinous post Medieval church. Even at 0430 as the sky began to colour, heralding the rising Sun, a crescent moon hanging magically above the nearby Great Barrow, it was warm enough to comfortably wear a t-shirt, amazing. Quite a few people had gathered to watch the sunrise, several of whom I knew, old freinds like Mick, who I've known for over 30 years and his girl friend Ang, Nick who I've known since the early 90's and member of the Dorset Grove who I'd not seen in a while; it's always nice to catch up with good people, it's something I need to do more and there's no excuse not too, only the barriers my mind creates. The Sun rose majestically, beautifully through the morning clouds. I say to myself every time I watch the sun rise 'I must do this more often', though still only manage it on the 8 days ascribed as important by my path. I left the henge with my spirits lifted and a smile on my face, though still with a corner of melancholia in my heart at how much I've changed. I hope the seeds of dreams and plans you planted in spring are blooming nicely. Solstice blessings y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment