Thursday 15 September 2016

Music of the Andys @ Chaplins 15.9.16

Not a poncho or pan pipe in sight, music of the Andes my arse! Of course I'm joking, although virtually everybody I'd mentioned the Music of the Andys gig to looked at me puzzled, thinking I was talking about an upcoming Peruvian pan flute band performance. Well, I wasn't. Music of the Andys are Andy Roger (recently of Here and Now) on synth/keyboards, Andy Burrows on guitar and Andrew Shackleton doing projections/visuals. I'd heard a couple of tracks on their bandcamp page and liked what I heard. Though, tonight’s performance was really something else.  A mind melting blend of flowing synth soundscapes, hypnotic trancey repetitive rhythms, all interwoven with some magical guitar noodling. They rocked!
The venue was Chaplins/The Cellar Bar in Boscombe, a small venue for sure, but with a big heart and a really great atmosphere and sound. The type of venue we desperately need and need to support. Up on the diminutive stage, Andy Roger looked intensely studious as he fiddled with knobs, jangled keys and pushed this and that, it must be quite a feat, all that going on. I've noticed synth players always look so focused, but as Mr Roger proved tonight, all that studious work can really pay off. Then there's Andy Burrows who has a great guitar style and really worked his instrument, his fingers a blur at some points as he worked every inch of the fretboard. Together they created musical magic. Man, I really was blown away by the quality of tonight’s musical fare. I was expecting good, but what we were served was something else, several notches higher than just 'good'.  The Andys created a richly textured and immersive sound, a big tight sound which filled the room, which for just two guys was good going. Quality stuff. Behind them Andrew Shackletons overlaid groovy visuals unquestioningly added to and complimented the musical soundscapes. All round a top evenings musical entertainment, although too too short.

The Andys next musical outing will be on the 30th supporting Cary Grace at the King Arthur in Glastonbury, for sure a gig not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment