Wednesday 24 August 2016

Dumb Poets @ Dean Park Inn

Another local venue I'd never been to before, and another local band I'd not heard before. The venue was the Dean Park Inn located at the Bournemouth end of Charmy, it felt very local (if you know what I mean), though said locals and staff were friendly and welcoming. The band were a four piece, the Dumb Poets, Lance Riley Vocals and Guitar, Harry Skinner Lead Guitar, Joe Musker Drums and Jim Greenwood Bass Guitar, and this was their inaugural outing.  Inaugural outing maybe, although at least one of the band members, lance Riley, has been in other bands (and I suspect by the standard of musicianship the other members have too). Lance has been in locally legendary bands The Bewley Brothers and The Spoons. As I say, all the bands members were proficient in their art and created a nice tight sound, as they belted out some quality tracks. The audience loved it, every track receiving rapturous applause. The whole evening had a lovely atmosphere, created by a group of excellent musicians.  When seeing or hearing a band for the first time the brain automatically tries to categorize, I have to say I struggled to pin a genre on the Dumb Poets or say 'they're like', and that's no bad thing. Though, if I 'had' to say, I'd say their sound is in the indie rock pop ball park. I should mention DJ Will provide a fine range of sound before and after the bands performance. All round a great evening. I'll be catching the Dumb Poets next time they're about and recommend them to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment