Saturday 11 June 2016

Moon Duo @ the Joiners

I've been blessed with some fine gigs of late, and tonight’s treat were Moon Duo. A friend, who knows his musical onions, had gifted me ticket, telling me it would be a rare opportunity to see Moon Duo in these parts. Moon Duo are Ripley Johnson of Wooden Shijps on vocals and guitar, Sanae Yamada on keyboards and John Jeffrey on drums, and, man, do they create a groovy sound, or what!  How'd I describe their sound? Well, I'd say (and this is just my opinion), they create a stream of pulsing psychedelic, electro tinged, drone rock, with trancey veins. Or something like that.

It would be an understatement to say Ripley Johnson is a not too shabby a guitarist (nor singer), he's bloody good. Ripley laid down some really splendid riffs interspersed with plenty of top shelf noodling. All delivered in a cool laid-back and understated style. Whilst Sanae Yamada brought some really nice electronic synthy sound-scapes to the party. Sanae looked like she was feeling the music she was producing and that it was flowing through her.  Keys must be intense, as keyboard players always tend to look so serious and Sanae was no exception, although She beamed smiles in-between tracks. Now, John Jeffrey, the drummer, fuck, man! That was some really far out drumming, the guy's a machine, drumming out a well paced beat like a mentalist, whilst shaking a tambourine or a morracker and looking un-phased by any of it. I reckon he's really an android sent from the future to fuck with our minds. It's the only explanation. Fantastic tracks of plenty, each a total joy, the crowd were loving it and I think the band were enjoying it too; which is always nice. All together they created a really nice sound vibe, I absolutely loved it, and I for one could have listened to much more of it. Though sadly, as is the nature of gigs, it was over far too soon. 

After the show the band mingled and I got a opportunity to thank them. Well, I spouted some gibberish at John Jeffrey (whilst thanking him) about keeping his android identity a secret, he looked suitably confused. And, I did get to briefly thank Sanae Yamada and Ripley Johnson for what was a memorable evening, both of whom came across as genuinely lovely people. They said they'd pass this way again, I do hope they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment